How the FBI investigated the 9/11 terror attacks

On September 12, 2004, FBI agents arrested Ahmed Rizwan Farah, a 31-year-old Yemeni national from Virginia.

They had him in custody on a terror-related charge, which carries a maximum penalty of life in prison. 

Farah was part of a small group of American Muslims traveling in a van loaded with weapons, ammunition, and explosives that traveled to New York City from the small Saudi town of Zawiyah in southern Saudi Arabia.

The attack was an attempt to strike U.S. embassies and other targets in the United States.

The group included the alleged ringleader, Abdallah al-Wahha, a Saudi national who had been sentenced to life in jail for his role in the plot. 

The plot was foiled in 2001. 

In the months following the attacks, the FBI continued to monitor Farah and other members of the cell. 

During an interview with a federal agent, Farah told the agent that he was not a Muslim. 

“I am an American citizen, a Christian, and a Muslim,” Farah said. 

According to a statement from the FBI, Farahs claim of religious affiliation was “inaccurate.” 

“Farah’s claim of affiliation was inaccurate because he never claimed to be Muslim or Christian and had no affiliation with any religious or ethnic group, including the Al Qaeda, Islamic State, or other terrorist organizations,” the statement read. 

FBI agents also discovered that Farah had provided a passport number that he had previously used to enter the United Kingdom.

Farah’s passport was found at the scene of the attack. 

Following the arrest, FBI officials said they found a laptop computer containing the names of Farah “along with a video recording of a conversation with a person who appeared to be Farah.” 

Farage and two other suspects were charged in the bombing, which killed two people and injured hundreds. 

Authorities say Farah provided the FBI with a fake passport and two passports in exchange for information on the attack, including his name and location. 

After the FBI seized the laptop computer, agents were able to find Farah at a New York apartment.

He was arrested for the bombings. 

At the time, Farage’s mother told reporters that her son “was not a threat.”

She later said that his claim of being Muslim was false and that his real name was Mohammed. 

Abdallah al -Wahhas father told reporters in a later statement that his son was not part of the plot and was “a very, very good man.” 

Al-Wahi was arrested on September 16, 2004.

In a press conference that lasted several hours, the Saudi embassy in Washington DC, where he was detained, released a statement to the press, claiming he was “not part of this terrorist network.” 

After his arrest, the US Attorney’s Office in Brooklyn announced that it had issued a “seizure warrant” for Farah. 

On September 22, Farahan pleaded not guilty. 

He was released from jail on September 29 and returned to Saudi Arabia, where authorities say he is currently under house arrest. 

Last month, the government also announced that the Saudi Arabian government will be giving Farah a new identity document, a passport that he has not used in years, and his passport number. 

 This post was updated on October 6 to include the release of Farahan’s passport number, the latest date that the government has publicly released Farahs passport number to the public. 

[Image via screengrab]